October 4, 2010

Moving on.

Let's forget about that little mess, shall we, and see what the next project is.

Coffee stout!

Once again, this is a slightly modified recipe, this time from the Joy of Homebrewing. To preserve the most actual coffee flavor in the beer, the coffee itself will be added at bottling.

This was my first time trying dry malt extract along with liquid. What'd I learn? That dry extract foams like a sonnuva.

Their powers combined, they are stout!
Thankfully, the mess quickly calmed down in the pot.

And it smelled fantastic!

Due solely to what was convenient to grab when I made a large hop run last month, this contained a mixture of Chinook, Cascade and Willamette hops, making it a very regional brew. The Tully's coffee I plan to use will only cement that. The grain sock was mainly things like black patent and roasted barley.

Started Saturday and so far seems to be behaving in the basement. I may use a secondary with this -- haven't decided yet -- and then will bottle after I get back from a trip to Montana in a couple of weeks.

Feeling much better about this one...

1 comment:

  1. And two days later, the house still smells like brewing day. The things I put up with for you.

    ReplyDelete