September 21, 2010

Tasting Room: Mississippi Mud

The good news about this beer: It's a full quart bottle. For $3!

The bad news about this beer: It's a full quart bottle. For $3!

I have to congratulate the makers of Mississippi Mud Black & Tan (the Mississippi Brewing Co. in Utica, N.Y.): it's really hard to pass up that bottle. And while a porter and pils together aren't the most traditional combination for the black and tan style, it certainly sounded pleasant.

I'm gonna have to reuse this for something.
But what's inside the bottle doesn't quite live up to the hype. I will grant that this was nice to drink Monday evening, but there's nothing really memorable about it -- both styles are there (the malt in the porter fades in all of a sudden in the aftertaste) but they're fairly weak versions of themselves. That does mean the full 32 ounces of beer hasn't terribly affected my ability to type. I don't see the ABV marked prominently anywhere, but it can't be much.

An interesting pick that will leave behind a great tschotske. But beyond that, I can't say I'm likely to grab this one again, even at $3.

No comments:

Post a Comment