May 3, 2011

Tasting Room: Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Last time in the Tasting Room, I highlighted what is perhaps my favorite style: the imperial stout.

That fine product was fairly one-dimensional, however, compared to what such a stout can become. I now humbly submit this beast, created by the Great Divide Brewing Co. of Colorado:


Great name, huh?
Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout is a good beer as-is. But this combination builds on that success. There's a lot going on here.

The aroma is sweet and syrupy, but with promise of what's to come. It's also a lovely pour:



I'm not sure how it looks like a yeti. Dark and mysterious?
This was a beer worth lingering over. The flavors are varied: both the coffee, which is advertised as a roast local to Denver, and the oak make their presence known. Smoother than the KGB by far, it still packs an bitter edge in the back end.

Again, a beer I'd love to age further. Now, if I can just get my hands on another bottle...

No comments:

Post a Comment